Website Marine Scotland
Job title: GIS Metadata Placement Student
Responsible to: GIS Manager
Department: Marine Scotland Science IT
Location: (any of) Marine Laboratory Aberdeen / Victoria Quay Edinburgh / Freshwater Laboratory Pitlochry
Duration: 12 weeks, 37 hours per week; June – August 2019
Salary: approx. £1300 per month
Placement Ref: EQU/2020/043
Marine Scotland is the directorate of Scottish Government (SG) responsible for marine and fisheries issues in Scotland. Its purpose is to manage Scotland’s seas for prosperity and environmental sustainability.
We have a small and dynamic GIS department and have a significant array of GIS datasets under our stewardship. Completing metadata (data about data) and keeping it up to date is an on-going challenge. This placement opportunity is a chance for you to learn about how GIS is used to support government business, and to see first-hand some of the challenges of maintaining and managing useful corporate information. You will report to the GIS Manager and will liaise with GIS and other staff across Marine Scotland and the wider Scottish Government.
You will ideally be someone who is a “completer-finisher”, keen to ensure your work is as good as it can possibly be. You will also ideally be good at liaising with busy people, in order to gain as much useful information as possible, without unduly disrupting other business.
Basic purpose of the placement and its primary objectives
– To enhance Marine Scotland’s GIS metadata provision, and ensure that comprehensive information about all MS GIS datasets is captured and recorded
– Investigate MS GIS datasets
– Gather information about MS GIS datasets, liaising with appropriate people
– Record this information in Marine Scotland’s Metadata catalogue
– Upload metadata into Scottish Public sector metadata system
– Ensure metadata is then uploaded to UK-level systems to meet INSPIRE (EU Directive) or equivalent obligations
Knowledge and skills required:
– 2 years under graduate study or equivalent in a relevant discipline such as computer science or physics
– Knowledge of GIS and GIS data is not essential but would be an advantage
– Knowledge of Metadata / Metadata standards etc. is not essential but would be an advantage
– Ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision
– Good attention to detail
– Excellent organisation skills
– Confident and professional manner
– Team player
– Based in office in either Aberdeen (Torry area), Edinburgh (Leith) or Pitlochry (Faskally).
|Education/Qualifications||2 years under graduate study or equivalent in a relevant discipline such as computer science or physics||On track for a good honours degree|
|Experience||Competent in general IT||Geographic Information Systems (GIS)|
|Skills/Personal Requirements||Ability to work on own initiative, with minimal supervision|
Good attention to detail
Excellent organisational skills
Confident and professional manner
How to Apply
Students should complete the online application form via the Equate Scotland website and attach a cover letter and a CV as separate documents, in PDF version and hit submit.
Please also make sure you note the placement reference number that you are applying for (highlighted in red above) as you will need this to complete the application form.
Closing Date: 21st January 2020