University of Glasgow - hiRACE laboratory
The hiRACE laboratory in the School of Engineering at the University of Glasgow develops state-of-the-art analytical approaches to several of the Earth most pressing’s environmental challenges: from safe drinking water production to remediation of pharmaceutical and microplastics contaminants in wastewater and remediation of contaminated land. We employ advanced comprehensive analytical and statistical tools to comprehensively characterise complex environmental samples and their responses to treatment (principally biotechnologies) for optimisation of remediation and identification of markers for monitoring. We also developed smart sensitive and specific sensors for in situ measurements of these markers using novel spectroscopic and plasmonic approaches.
The intern will be incorporated to a multidisciplinary team of researchers including chemists, microbiologists, environmental engineers, geologists and mathematicians. She will have the opportunities to assist various team members in their project and if willing to design and carry out a stand-alone research project on any of topics listed above. She will be trained in several advanced analytical techniques such as accelerated solvent extraction, GC-MS and FTIR but also molecular biology approaches such as DNA extraction and sequencing.
Job title: High Resolution Analytical Chemistry for Environmental Engineering
Reporting To: Dr Caroline Gauchotte-Lindsay
Department: School of Engineering, Infrastructure & Environment
Duration: 8 weeks
Placement Ref: EQU/2019/017
Basic purpose of the placement and its primary objectives
Working as part of a multidisciplinary research team, you will help develop advanced analytical tools for environmental biotechnology projects.
- Assisting graduate researchers in sample preparations and analysis
- Design of small research experiments
- Data interpretation
Knowledge and skills required:
- At least two years or more of undergraduate studies in analytical chemistry, environmental chemistry, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering or environmental engineering.
- Highers/ Advanced Highers (or equivalent) in chemistry or biology
- A knowledge of Health and Safety Issue in the laboratory
- Able to think independently and critically and participate in revising project direction based on results
- Willing to integrate a very multidisciplinary team and engaged with people from different discipline.
- Mindful of Health and Safety
- Good sense of observation and curiosity for the research process
- Rigorous approach to laboratory work
- An interest in water and environmental global issues.
- Based at University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow
- Working hours are 9am to 5pm
|Education/Qualifications||2nd year+ in Civil/Environmental engineering or Chemical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering or Analytical/ Environmental Chemistry||Highers/ Advanced Highers in Chemistry or Biology|
|Experience||Laboratory work: awareness of health and safety issues|
|Skills/Personal Requirements||Able to think independently and critically and participate in revising project direction based on results|
Willing to integrate a very multidisciplinary team and engaged with people from different discipline
Mindful of Health and Safety
Good sense of observation and curiosity for the research process
Rigorous approach to laboratory work
|An interest in water and environmental global issues.|
Application deadline March 29th 2019