Website Edinburgh Napier University
Lecturer in Interaction Design – Permanent – Full Time
Salary: GBP 40,322 – GBP 49,553 per annum (Grade 6) + Pension (Employer contribution of 23% – Scottish Teachers Superannuation Scheme)
Build your academic career in Interaction Design with Edinburgh Napier University.
We have an exciting opportunity to join an established team, delivering teaching and research in interactive design. The successful candidate will bring their knowledge and expertise to contribute to lecturing and research in innovative design and development of screen-based media, interactive experiences and physical computing.
With over 70 academics, 1400 students, professional accreditation from the British Computer Society and some of the most impressive computing lab facilities in a UK university, the School of Computing is highly regarded and one of the UK’s largest computing departments at the heart of Scotland’s inspiring capital.
The School is organised in three subject disciplines: Creative & Social Informatics, Cyber Security & Networking and Software Engineering. Further information about Edinburgh Napier University can be found here.
We are looking for a Lecturer in Interaction Design who is:
- Enthusiastic about innovative emerging interactive technologies including immersive experiences, mixed reality, Internet of Things and robotics;
- Aware of trends in interaction design and innovation as an area of creative practice and intellectual endeavour;
- Committed to interaction design as a human-centred practice that applies technology to enhance human experience and the lived environment;
- Passionate about student-centred learning and developing industry-ready graduates;
- Excited about developing their research and esteem through externally funded projects and industry partnerships;
- Expertise in one or more of the following: Unreal Engine, Unity, Arduino and Adobe software is highly desirable.
- Willing to develop their personal area of expertise to complement and augment our team.
As an early career academic joining us as a lecturer you will receive:
- A research allowance of 30% of your time to build your research.
- Access to our staff development budget for travel to conferences and to establish collaborations.
- Extensive research training and development through our Research and Innovation Office (RIO).
- You will also study towards a Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning leading to Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- Support for grant applications from colleagues in the school and RIO.
As a member of the Creative and Social Informatics subject group, you will:
- Become a member of the Interaction Design research group, which has been successful in attracting RCUK and EU funding for research and external funding for PhD Studentships.
- Join a PhD student supervisory team.
- Benefit from working with supportive colleagues and have access to our specialist laboratories: the Creative Informatics Studio, a dedicated rapid prototyping studio developed as part of the AHRC Creative Industries Clusters Programme; and the Sensorium, a purpose built user experience lab. The labs also provide a strong focus for our research-informed teaching and student projects.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- A doctoral level qualification in the relevant discipline.
- Evidence of a professional academic and research profile alongside a commitment to sustained continuous professional/academic development.
- Sufficient breadth and depth of experience in interaction design to develop high quality teaching/learning and research programmes. (Examples of undergraduate students’ work may be viewed here)
- Evidence of a teaching specialisation.
- A level of achievement appropriate to the post being applied for, including international/ national standing, a developing research track record of high quality outputs, external income generation, and academic leadership
If you would like to know, more about this exciting opportunity please click here to view the role profile.
Please note: The role holder may have the opportunity to travel as part of the programme.
Salary: Salary: Grade 6, GBP 40,322 – GBP 49,553 per annum + Pension (Employer contribution of 23% – Scottish Teachers Superannuation Scheme)
Further information about our benefits can be found here.
Application Closing Date: 5th April (Midnight)
Interviews are likely to be on the 21st April.
The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations (The school holds an Advance HE’s Athena SWAN Bronze Accreditation) and holds Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status. More details can be found here.