- Fund deadline: October 25, 2021 12:00 pm
- Fund value: £20,000
- Fund duration: 24 months
Funding area: Arts and Humanities, Career Development, Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths and Medicine (STEMM), Social Sciences
RSE Research Network Grants are designed to create and/or to consolidate collaborative partnerships over a two-year period. ‘Partnerships’ may be defined in a range of ways and may involve collaboration between colleagues in different disciplines and institutions. The award may be used to expand the activities of existing Research Workshops, or to initiate new projects. Evidence of previous successful collaborative work amongst the participants will be an advantage. Any events organised must be outwith the RSE’s and Young Academy’s own programme of meetings.
The awards are open to applications from Principal Investigators from all academic disciplines and all career stages who are eligible as one of the following:
- a full or part-time academic in any academic discipline and are tenured and/or salaried staff of a Higher Education Institution (HEI), Research Institute (RI) or Cultural Institution (CI) in Scotland. Applicants must be on open-ended, continuing, or fixed-term contracts which extend three months beyond the end date of the envisaged grant period. The RSE grant cannot be used to extend an applicant’s contract.
- a retired academic in any academic field who retains demonstrable links with a Scottish HEI, RI or CI with a demonstrable commitment to teaching and research within that institution.
- a full or part-time practitioner or research-active member of staff in any academic field employed by a Scottish Cultural Institution with a demonstrable commitment to teaching and research within that institution.
Applicants on short or fixed-term contracts should ensure their contracts extend for at least three months after the end of the proposed project. Early career researchers on staged contracts to permanent lectureship positions are eligible but must be in contract for the duration of the award.
Joint applications are accepted for the RSE Research Network Grants where there is evidence of the partners having worked together successfully previously to bring together complementary skills and expertise.
Collaborations may be between Scottish or overseas HEIs and/or practitioners, policy makers, Research Institutions and Cultural Institutions provided that: the lead applicant is based in Scotland; the key principles of the awards scheme are recognised; and the application is interdisciplinary.
A new application will not be considered when a report on a previous RSE grant is overdue.
- Applicants may submit only one proposal to each scheme (Small Research Grants, Research Workshops or Network Grants). If an applicant applies to more than one scheme, the applications must be for different projects. Applicants submitting to more than one scheme should ensure that they detail how they will manage their time on all projects if each is successful. Applicants should apply to the scheme best suited to the proposed project.
- The RSE Research Network Grants can be held in any discipline or subject area.
- The RSE Research Network Grants are funded for up to 24 months.
The funding will open for applications from Monday 6 September 2021; applicants are required to:
- Create a profile on the RSE CiviCRM, or log in using your existing details
- Once into your profile, access the online applicatio.
- Complete the details on the online application form.
- Upload as part of the online form a statement of support from your head of department, an institutional statement of support and letters of support from any co-applicants.
- Arrange for two referee forms to be sent to the RSE Awards@theRSE.org.uk by Monday 25 October 2021, 12:00. These are available to download from the resources below.
- Successful applications should have a start date between Tuesday 1 March 2022 – Wednesday 31 August 2022.