Computer Application Services is an acknowledged expert in case management systems. Our Workpro solution is used by many organisations in different sectors including government and financial services. We have many years’ experience of developing systems which support organisations in delivering high quality customer service.
Job title: Software Engineering Student Placement
Responsible to: Software Engineering Manager
Duration: 8 – 12 weeks, 37.5 hours per week; June – August 2020
Salary: £320 per week
Placement Ref: EQU/2020/013
This placement opportunity is a chance for you to play a part in developing product software in a commercial environment on a Microsoft technology stack. You’ll work with our experienced team of business analysts, developers and testers to help develop new product features, enhancements and tools. You’ll also be fully involved in the team’s agile processes.
Through your coursework or prior work-experience, you will have an understanding of software development using an object-oriented language, and of developing a web application. Some team working experience would also be valuable.
Examples of the projects in which our summer interns have previously been involved are:
- Building a web based helpdesk tool which allows users to make support requests and monitor progress.
- Upgrading the Workpro user interface to make it responsive and more accessible for visually impaired users;
- Developing an automated browser testing platform, and writing tests for it;
- Creating a web-based tool which analyses our source control system and reports differences between product versions
Basic purpose of the placement and its primary objectives
- To enhance and extend Workpro, CAS’s web-based case management tool, and the tools and processes used to support and develop it.
Main duties could include:
- Working with senior engineers and business analysts on feature specification.
- Working with other software engineers to develop features; depending on the exact feature, this could involve working in the web, application or database layers, or on tools and processes which support Workpro.
- Working with the test department to test different aspects of the product.
- Working with other engineers to develop our automated build platform.
- Working with the team to improve our development processes.
Knowledge and skills required:
- Knowledge of an object-oriented programming language (C# and .Net preferred).
- Experience of developing on a typical web application stack.
- Some experience of SQL programming is desirable.
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision, following guidance
- Good attention to detail
- Excellent organisation skills
- Confident and professional manner
- Team player
- Office-based at Heriot-Watt business park, Edinburgh
- 5 hours per day, flexibly between 8.30 am and 5.30 pm
|Education/Qualifications||2 years undergraduate study or equivalent||On track for a 2:1 or first class Honours degree|
|Experience||Previous experience of developing a web application using C#, Java, Python, Ruby, php, etc.|
Experience of an object-oriented programming language (e.g. Java or C#)
|Programming ASP.Net with C#|
SQL database programming
Working with a framework like Angular or React
|Skills/Personal Requirements||Ability to work on own initiative, with minimal supervision|
Good attention to detail
Excellent organisational skills
Confident and professional manner
Closing date is 14th January 2020