BakerHicks_1957 Baker Hicks
BakerHicks are a design and engineering company that specialises in complex infrastructure, process and built environments across the full project life cycle. Our disciplines range from initial architecture to civil and structural, building services, specialist high voltage and process engineering services, programme management and CDM consultancy, using the latest innovations in Building Information Modelling (BIM) for the most efficient and cost-effective design.
Job title: Summer Placement (2021) – Building Services
Duration: 8-12 weeks
Reporting to: Associate
Salary: 40 hours per week (Aligned with minimum living wage)
Basic purpose of the placement and its primary objectives:
A building services engineering summer placement will work with a team of engineers and other professionals in the construction industry to design various installations provided in buildings. These typically include systems such as heating, ventilation, air conditioning, drainage, lighting, power, controls and lifts, to deliver buildings which meet the needs of the people that use them.
As a building services engineering summer placement, you will be working closely and providing technical support to our engineers in carrying out design work according to the client specification for projects across a variety of sectors.
• Preparation of simple calculations
• General sizing calculations
• Production of manual and CAD (Computer Aided Design) drawings
• Site visits
• Site surveys
• Contributing to providing solutions to design problems
• Ensuring designs meet required standards
• Keeping your training log up to date and attending training/CPDs where appropriate
• Supporting the administration of projects
• Learn from, and be mentored by, senior members of the Building Services team
Knowledge and skills required:
• Have knowledge of AutoCAD 2D software. A knowledge of Autodesk REVIT would be an advantage but not essential.
• Ability to work under the supervision of an Engineer/Senior Engineer to produce building services designs/calculations
• To be willing and able to develop knowledge and experience of building services systems
• An ability to understand drawing mark-ups, and able to develop a good eye for the detail of specific tasks.
• To be willing and able to develop an outline appreciation of CDM regulations, and how they relate to the tasks under their remit.
• Be willing and able to learn and develop knowledge of current UK technical standards/publications and legislation requirements
• To have basic proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
• To be a good learner, and able to pick up new tasks and ideas readily
• Ability to work accurately and methodically, under the supervision of an Engineer/Senior Engineer
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to work well within a team of other Engineers
• Studying towards a qualification in mechanical, electrical or building services engineering, or related; HNC, HND or 1st year undergraduate students and above are welcome to apply.
• Office based
• Based at Level 2, BakerHicks, Trilogy One, Eurocentral 11 Woodhall, Motherwell, ML1 4YT
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com.